Rome wasn’t built in a day, but this Keno game for Commodore 64, Apple IIe and Atari was. With the Retrochallenge winding down and Retro C well advanced I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could build a game in a day, for three retro computer systems. I did the work over two sessions, I had a layover in the Detroit Airport Thursday night and I was able to build the main play field of the 80 numbers, all as labels in the IDE. It only took about 20 minutes. Today I finished the rest, adding number boxes for how many numbers and games to play. I added call back function to two menu options to access these objects. Then a simple loop and using the input_box function from the TUI C Library I was able to pick the numbers to play. It would be nice if I had parameters of where the input box displays as it overlaps the play field, that’ll need to go on the enhancement list. Finally three addition labels for Number of hits each game, number of coins, (loose one every game, gain coins based on number of hits), and number of games remaining if multiple games are selected. Finally game play code is a call back function for the Play menu item. The beauty and the reason for the speedy development is that 75% of the code was built from the IDE and Code Builder, the program logic was all that was left. Here a few pictures showing the Retro C IDE set up and some code, and three screen shots of Keno for Commodore 64, Apple IIE and Atari at startup.
The next post will be my wrap up post for the Retrochallenge Winter Warm up 2016.
Picture above shows number selection.
Running on my Commodore 128 and AppleIIGS!