This round of the Retrochallenge has been a blast, I accomplished all but two (or one and half ) of my goals. So let’s start with those items.
Realtime on GPS tracking to Apple ][ emulator, on a sailboat didn’t happen, no wind this weekend and some family items didn’t allow for some sailboat time. That said real time tracking did happen in the car and I did construct a mount for the and laptop on custom hatch boards for the sailing vessel “Apple Pie”
and the second item was running the software on the Apple IIGS but the Kyan Pascal serial card drivers only work with Apple IIe serial card.
Those items aside I pulled out my original eTrex GPS that has some screen issues, thus why I purchased a second one, but I was able to download the Waypoints and Tracks from the first one as a final test.
I did uncover a couple of issues that required some minor coding changes.
- The old GPS had some waypoints that had waypoint symbols that I had not coded on the first pass. I added in symbols for “Information”, which is typically used for State information centers that are close to state boarders in the US. “Rest Room”, Convivence Store and Tunnel, where a few others that were used in the older GPS
2. Downloading and displaying tracks. The older GPS had the maximum of 10 stored tracks. I had originally set up the array to store the coordinates of the tracks to hold 200 points, well there were some tracks that had in excess of 800 points, I upped the size to 1000, compiled and hoped it wouldn’t exceed the heap size, and in further testing it was fine. Below are two plotted tracks, with the largest being a driving trip I had made from Pittsburgh PA, to Chicago Il, over 400 miles, and the video of this plotting at 1Mhz is attached to the Twitter post for this update, took over a minute to plot ;).
Here’s a second track of some kayaking at a local lake when I lived in North Carolina:
So in conclusion, I again found Kyan Pascal and the KIX shell to be a great development environment, and it would also have been quite good back in the day. I did all my development in the environment and the only modern “cheat” was to up the system speed in the emulator, (though that would have been possible with accelerator boards as well on the original equipment) .
I kept the UI simple and clean using pseudo buttons and toggled through them with arrow keys, and most responses where single key entry. Of course there are lots of enhancements that could be made including, saving multiple waypoint and tracks files, using more enhanced graphics drivers to include text, such as titles, waypoints on the plots, and looked into sending updates back to the GPS.
All in all with the timeframe of the Retrochallenge I’m pretty satisfied with what was completed and who would have know that GPS data could be transferred to an Apple IIe.